Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nick

Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride Empty
PostSubject: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 am

As an alternate to Mark's ride I'm planning on doing the 90 miler he plotted that goes across the bridge and does a bit of the Wye Valley Warrior course + some familiar roads around Monmouth/Tintern/Chepstow. It has 7000ft of climbing as well so will be tough

Course is: http://connect.garmin.com/course/3644671

Start is 9am from Costa, Bradley Stoke

Plan is more survival than fast times but aiming for 12-14mph average, def one stop at the Red Door deli (about 65 miles in) and likely one before around Coleford. No one will be left behind and there's the option to short-cut at Monmouth and miss out 20 miles if anyone's really struggling.

If you're interested please post up as I won't detour to Costa if no one else is tagging along.

Last edited by Nick on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 am

What a shame !I have to wash my hair otherwise I would be there like a shot.:-)
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 am

hi - starting to feel better from my exposure to small child and associated germs so planning to do this ride still - may drive over and meet you in Chepstow though to cut out a few miles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Nick, I am up for this.

I only have time for 1 ride this weekend so I think that I will drop out of BBBR and do this instead.

What time are you leaving?
Back to top Go down
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:37 am

Likely to be leaving Bradley Stoke @ 9am but keeping an eye on the weather in case it looks sensible to shorten the route a bit (cut out the loop above Monmouth) as forecast is currently wind & rain Sad If it does get shortened and the weather looks like it's improving during the day I might delay until 10am but for now assume 9am
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:43 am

Nick wrote:
Likely to be leaving Bradley Stoke @ 9am but keeping an eye on the weather in case it looks sensible to shorten the route a bit (cut out the loop above Monmouth) as forecast is currently wind & rain Sad If it does get shortened and the weather looks like it's improving during the day I might delay until 10am but for now assume 9am

My weather app says Saturday will be dry with 20mph winds. Hopefully it stays that way.

I am thinking that a meet at the bridge would be advisable with you coming from Bradley Stoke and me coming from Thornbury.

Assuming that you leave at 9:00 I will be at the bridge (on the cycle path by the roundabout) for 9:30.

Shona, you could park up by the bridge (Passage Rd) to reduce the distance and save yourself the toll.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 11:01 am

good idea, thanks - also meet you Nick at the roundabout before the bridge
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:03 pm

See you there.

As far as an early cafe stop is concerned, I do not know of any in the Clearwell/Coleford area that is on the route? Might have to be a case of doing the Redbrook climb and then keeping an eye out for somewhere suitable.
Back to top Go down
hopster

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Nick wrote:
As an alternate to Mark's ride I'm planning on doing the 90 miler he plotted that goes across the bridge and does a bit of the Wye Valley Warrior course + some familiar roads around Monmouth/Tintern/Chepstow. It has 7000ft of climbing as well so will be tough

Course is: http://connect.garmin.com/course/3644671

This is weather dependant and I'll confirm start time tomorrow but will be 9am-ish I imagine, start will be Costa Bradley Stoke.

Plan is more survival than fast times but aiming for 12-14mph average, def one stop at the Red Door deli (about 65 miles in) and likely one before around Coleford. No one will be left behind and there's the option to short-cut at Monmouth and miss out 20 miles if anyone's really struggling.

If you're interested please post up as I won't detour to Costa if no one else is tagging along.
Would love to ride come on this ride but I need to be back for 1.30ish to take my son to the cinema. Next time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm

I have found a cafe that is on the route at Clearwell Caves at about mile 27

http://www.clearwellcaves.com/cafe.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Gail says clearwell cave cafe is WELL worth the stop. plenty of bike parking, home made
cake, plenty of seating .....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

john m wrote:
Gail says clearwell cave cafe is WELL worth the stop. plenty of bike parking, home made
cake, plenty of seating .....

Thanks John (& Gail),

I was hoping that it would be a good 'un. Hope the cake isn't too good, I already have enough weight to drag up the hills as it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 pm

May cancel my Saturday shift and take this up; haven't rode in Cymru in a while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Nick,

Are we still planning on a 9am start?

Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride 9039059663_8116f9e28e_b
Back to top Go down
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 am

Yep, will be leaving Costa @ 9am

Wind looks set to be very similar to today so should be OK once we've cleared the Severn bridge (I'm also assuming you'll be on the front for the 40+ miles of headwind coming back :p )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 5:17 pm

haha. Sure.

In that case I'll see you at the Bridge at 9:30.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I took the opportunity to re-plot the route on RWGPS as I prefer the turn-by-turn navigation you get on the .tcx files from there, plus I am a premium member so I can set how far in advance I get the turn warnings.

I tidied up the route a little as it was going up a less than perfect road just before the Redbrook turning and through a garage forecourt in Monmouth. I also added the cafe stops.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2686008

*the route starts in Thornbury but seeing as you all know how to get to the Severn Bridge I didn't think it was a problem Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm tempted to come along and do the jump across at mile 42/Monmouth, is it easy-ish to get back home from there without a Garmin?

I guess i'll have GPS on the phone, will just need to stop and check more regularly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Adam. Really easy to get back. You just follow the river back to Tintern and then up to Chepstow and on to the Bridge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Actually I think i'm going to join Aerobully's Sat ride, so will have to bail on this one, realised im way down in Filton so a fair bit of mileage and legs are a bit sore from yesterdays squatting. ShockedSmile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 pm

apologies, don't think I'll make this now - not feeling recovered enough for an all day ride :-(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 7:37 am

Right, as long as we average 45mph we won't get wet. 

See you at the bridge.
Back to top Go down
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 8:23 am

See you there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride   Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride Empty

Back to top Go down

Sat 15th alternate long hilly ride
Page 1 of 1