Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tim80bwi

tim80bwi

Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep Empty
PostSubject: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptySun Feb 28, 2016 6:38 pm

This Saturday, a few of us will be heading over to Wales to ride the full Velothon route (circa 90mi). The plan will be to drive over the bridge and park (probably near Magor) and join the route.

We'll be aiming to set off (from Magor) at around 9am. Cafe stops provisionally Abergavenny and Caerphilly (suggestions welcome!).

Anyone is welcome to join, but please ensure you know what this route entails.

Draft route here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12370965

Note: I will be tweaking this when I get round to it to sort out some of the gritty dual carriageway sections.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 12:20 am

This was something I was planning to do but I was going to avoid Cardiff. This is the route I had in mind:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12377737

It's shorter but in avoiding Cardiff and A roads as much as possible it does mean more climbing.

If it's not raining I can recommend the Oasis cafe in Abergavenny. Down-to-Earth grub at very reasonable prices but you do have to eat outdoors as only the serving hatch is covered. I'm not familiar with any cafes in Caerphilly.

Sadly I have to work Saturday morning so I won't be able to join you.
Back to top Go down
Chateau1984

Chateau1984

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Gary wrote:
This was something I was planning to do but I was going to avoid Cardiff. This is the route I had in mind:  

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12377737

It's shorter but in avoiding Cardiff and A roads as much as possible it does mean more climbing.

If it's not raining I can recommend the Oasis cafe in Abergavenny. Down-to-Earth grub at very reasonable prices but you do have to eat outdoors as only the serving hatch is covered. I'm not familiar with any cafes in Caerphilly.

Sadly I have to work Saturday morning so I won't be able to join you.  

Might be a good idea to avoid Cardiff Centre on a Saturday. Thanks for this Gary
Back to top Go down
scanavan

scanavan

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Who is going?
Back to top Go down
tim80bwi

tim80bwi

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

So far it's me, Ryan, Alain and potentially James I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 7:42 am

Yeah I'm in. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chateau1984

Chateau1984

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Just FYI Yellow Warning for Snow and Ice for this Friday/Saturday now....Might be a bit unsafe up on the hills in Wales for this ride.
Back to top Go down
scanavan

scanavan

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 4:07 pm

On that note. I'll pass until the weather picks up.
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Tim, looks like I'll be able to come along on Saturday.
I'll be driving so if anyone wants to jump in with me I'd be happy for the company.

Just check the forecast for Saturday and it now looks a bit better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2657815
Back to top Go down
tim80bwi

tim80bwi

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 12:30 am

Yea Saturday is looking pretty pleasant so I think I'm going to press ahead with this. I'll get the route formalities sorted tomorrow afternoon, but still interested if anyone has any suggestions for a second cafe stop.

Would be great to have you along Paul! I don't suppose you still have that super bike rack? Smile
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 6:09 am

Yes still got it so I've got space for me and three others if needed
Back to top Go down
scanavan

scanavan

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 7:07 am

Can I change my mind and join you assuming there is room for one more?
Back to top Go down
Chateau1984

Chateau1984

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 7:27 am

I think at the moment the definates are Paul, Tim, you, me.
Back to top Go down
scanavan

scanavan

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 7:40 am

Ryan was in aswell. James and Gary were maybes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 11:03 am

Yeah If i could grab a lift that would be cool. I can chuck in some P-money.

If there isnt any space, I have a bike rack if anyone has a car
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 pm

If it's only 5 of us I do have a roof mount as well so I could get us all in although I've never used it before.
Back to top Go down
Chateau1984

Chateau1984

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 5:31 pm

Guys can you all pm me your mobile numbers and I'll set up a Whatsapp group to discuss tomorrows plans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 9:34 pm

I was never a maybe as I have work in the morning. Have a good ride guys and take care, especially on the high ground. For your second cafe stop you're bound to find something in Caerphilly.
Back to top Go down
tim80bwi

tim80bwi

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Tomorrow's final route for future reference:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12438650

119km with 2 cafe stops:

39km: Oasis Snack Bar

86km: Caerphilly Mountain Snack Bar

Not 100% the original route, but mostly dual-carriageway free which is a blessing!
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Have a good one chaps
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep   Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep Empty

Back to top Go down

Saturday 5th March - Velothon Prep
Page 1 of 1