Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
schleck_wannabe

schleck_wannabe

Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 Empty
PostSubject: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm

All,

I see that there's already 2 other rides being planned for this Saturday, but I have another alternative....

If anyone is interested I'm planning a 100mile+ ride over the bridge on Saturday morning, so probably something like Chepstow, Coleford, Cinderford, Michelden then onto Ross/Hereford before coming back over Symonds Yat and then then along the Wye Valley. Average speed will be around 17-19mph I'd think which will depend a bit on the wind. There's about 2500M of climbing, so it's quite lumpy. I'd go for a cafe stop in Hereford or Ross too after 60-70 miles.

Of course I'm happy to make route changes if anyone has any favourite roads that they'd like to ride.

I'm thinking of leaving Patchway around 0830hrs, so will be at the Bridge around 0850hrs (Bristol side near junction for motorway services) or Chepstow roundabout about 9am.

Let me know if you're interested.

-Gordon
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Gordon, isnt it the Gospel pass audax this saturday? http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-53/
I think Chris Speedplay and Dave Scaramanger are taking part might be nice for you to join in.
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
schleck_wannabe

schleck_wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Oh right - thanks Scott.

I didn't know that was on but I see that entries have now closed. I guess I could do the ride anyway....

I've never ridden the Gospel Pass so it would be good to ride it.

hmmm....

-Gordon
Back to top Go down
ransos

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm

schleck_wannabe wrote:
Oh right - thanks Scott.

I didn't know that was on but I see that entries have now closed. I guess I could do the ride anyway....

I've never ridden the Gospel Pass so it would be good to ride it.

hmmm....

-Gordon

Careful on the descent down Hay Bluff - lots of suicidal sheep!
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Draft Speedplay they won't notice a little one like you Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
schleck_wannabe

schleck_wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 7:09 am

I know it's a bit late, so people probably won't see this - but I'm going to be doing the Gospel Pass ride. I'll keep an eye out for the NBCC jerseys!

Have a good day everyone.

-Gordon
Back to top Go down
schleck_wannabe

schleck_wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Wow...that was a lot harder that I thought it was going to be. I saw the NBCC guys at the stop in Hay though, was good to see some friendly faces. Had I realised that the big climb was literally right after the stop I might have eaten sightly less...

Hope Neil & Dave got on ok...will keep an eye out for their rides on that site that you're not allowed to talk about on here.....

-Gordon
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 4:51 pm

cheers cheers cheers Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Work got in the way, otherwise would have come out for the Audax thingy. Sounds like a good climb.
Back to top Go down
schleck_wannabe

schleck_wannabe

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Not sure I would describe it as a 'good climb'. Today the wind was howling down it, so was lucky to get 10mph at times. The road is so narrow that people driving down force you into the ditch at the side (this happened to me twice). It's probably worth doing once as the views are epic, but there are definitely better climbs out there in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 5:59 pm

And who would have thought that it's a part of a National Cycle Route, lol I've never been over the pass so migh do it one day but as you said it's probably not worth risking life and structural integrity of the bike Smile agree that a lot of the climbs in Brecon Beacons would probably be much more suitable. Dave showed me Llangynidr climb which is in the 100 greatest climbs book rated as 7/10. It was just below 400m elevation and I was swearing a lot near the top and wondering how the hell are you suppose to do the same thing but 4 times as long. It was a slog but very gratifying in the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2   Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saturday 22nd - Alternative ride part 2
Page 1 of 1