Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Saturday 21 February Century Ride

Go down 
+3
bigsenior
Sheads
Edders
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Saturday 21 February Century Ride Empty
PostSubject: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Edders (Barry) and I will be doing a century ride on the Saturday after next, of at least 100 miles (or 160 kilometres if you've been metrified). Start time and place is likely to be 8.00 am outside Costa Bradley Stoke. Route yet to be decided but whatever we go for it will not be ridden at "bat out of hell" pace. Probably two refuelling/rest stops.
Everyone is welcome.
Back to top Go down
Edders

Edders

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Awfully quiet in here Gary Smile

Edit - must learn to spell Smile

Last edited by Edders on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheads

Sheads

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Still thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.energyassessmentsbristol.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Possibly, need to work on a pass
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 4:44 pm

The route. We're going to do the Gospel Pass and all told we should clock up about 104 miles (measured from Bradley Stoke). The route is more-or-less straight there and back to keep the mileage down and enable us to complete the ride in daylight. I've done a separate rwgps for the outward and return legs so Garmin doesn't get confused.

Outward Leg http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6974504

Return Leg http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6974689

There will be something in the region of 6,500 ft of climbing in total which in the main is pretty gentle stuff and there are a couple of stretches where you might have to get out of the saddle for a bit, however, what goes up must come down so there will be plenty of "down" to enjoy.

Planning on stopping in Abergavenny on the way out and on the way back for refreshments.

As the ride is in February we will take account of the weather and if conditions are unsuitable for cycling we will fall back to Plan B.

Hope you can join us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 6:08 pm

watch out for the slight incline as you leave y fenni Smile

can recommend the "transport" cafe in the bus station car park @ y fenni.
The hay on Wye cafe is down the lane opposite tourist info on Oxford Road.

and as for the view .... breath taking Wink
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 6:23 pm

"and as for the view .... breath taking"

Mod:-- as for the hills ... breath taking.
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
tim80bwi

tim80bwi

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Looks good. Should be up for this, weather permitting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 am

Good man Tim. Keep your fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 am

Trying to get next Saturday off work so hopefully I can join you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Will be great if you can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Should be able to make this (wiped out this weekend by man-flu so need the miles).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Hope to see you Saturday Chris.
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 am

Gary, what time do you think we'll be back Saturday?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 3:51 pm

When Edders and I did a century last October it took us 8.5 hours from start to finish. This consisted of 6.5 hours of cycling at an average of 15.6 mph plus 2 hours of breaks. I reckon therefore we should be back around about 4.30 pm.
If you need to be back sooner you could cut loose at any time or maybe skip the second refreshment stop and make your own way back.

Latest weather forecast for Saturday looks promising, a chilly 3C start, rising to 7C, reasonably bright with possibly an odd shower around coasts, and a bit breezy at times.
Back to top Go down
funkyfearon

funkyfearon

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 4:03 pm

I need to get back by 4:15pm so I'll either miss the second stop or maybe peal off at Abergavenny and go to Monmouth then head home via Tintern but I'll have to make that decision on the day.
See you Saturday morning Smile
Back to top Go down
Edders

Edders

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Last time our first break was quite long. I was trying to warm up my toes and we bumped into some other club members so I think we'll be back by then. I certainly hope to be!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm

100 miles - leaving at 8.00am - should be back well before 4 if we can keep up with Gary!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Chris, you flatter me. Are you starting from Bradley Stoke or are you going to meet us at the Bridge ?

Edders, Gospel Pass is the highest road in Wales so it's likely to be a bit taters up there at this time of year so you'd better make sure your little tootsies are well insulated.

If we keep the rest stops short, say half an hour each then we should be back by 4 pm easy. I'll pack an extra tube and co2 cartridge to keep any minty delays as short as possible.

On looking over the route I noticed a small section of the return leg, north of Abergavenny, had gone off-piste, this has now been corrected. If you've already downloaded the return leg you might want to download the corrected route map (same rwgps number ie  http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6974689) or you can leave things as they are and when Garmin shrieks "Off Course" at you, ignore it until you are back "on course".
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 11:48 pm

Make sure  you have "recalculte" off or prompted.
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 7:46 am

If Sunday's forecast doesn't improve I might join you and head back at Shirenewton...
Back to top Go down
Simon Luce

Simon Luce

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 8:38 am

pass has already been signed!!
and hopefully wont be revoked prior to Saturday.
see you all on the welsh side of the bridge, (weather forecast is looking good)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 am

Might just be able to make this!

Will pick you up at the Severn Bridge - Live near there.

Can you confirm you'll be leaving Sadly Broke at 8am - And will be on the North side bridge footpath? - So I don't miss ya!
Alan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm up for the weekend visiting the other half and am wanted out of the house on Saturday so may join you gents on this if that's ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 8:38 pm

@Gary-assume the bridge (north side around 8.15-8.20).
If I'm ready early enough I might get to BS to depart with the group.

(I'll bring a couple of tubes too so we should be well prepared)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saturday 21 February Century Ride   Saturday 21 February Century Ride Empty

Back to top Go down

Saturday 21 February Century Ride
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next