Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? Empty
PostSubject: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 pm

So yeah, this is the date of Stage 6 of the Tour of Britain, from Taunton to Wells. Having seen the calibre of riders taking part, I'm keen to get down to Wells to watch the conclusion of the stage.

Garmin-Cervélo have today confirmed their team for the ToB (including David Millar, Julian Dean and Thor Hushovd), whilst the Sky team is rumoured to include Edvald Boasson Hagen, Russell Downing and Alex Dowsett.

The last 46km of the race is a circuit, passing through Wells the first time at around 12:58, then finishing there at approx 13:37. I'd like to be in Wells for about Midday, so my plan involves meeting at 9:30 before setting off at 10. After the race, aiming to get away for 14:00, putting us back in Bristol by 16:00.

With this being a daytime weekday ride, I thought it best to get this up early in case people need time off work etc for it. It'll be a great opportunity to see Pro Tour riders within spitting distance of Bristol. Anyone interested?

Stage 6 route:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Norris on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Hmm not a bad idea, bit early for me to make a call though. I've also volunteered as a marshal on the Welsh stage so I might have had enough of the race by then :p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Thought I'd give this a bump...

A few more teams have confirmed their provisional lineups now - some fairly big names will be riding (Hushovd, Voigt, Gerdemann, Boom) as well as some up-and-coming Brits (Thomas, Swift, House, Dowsett). I for one am excited!
Back to top Go down
the_mikey

the_mikey

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 9:37 pm

I'll probably be there, not sure where exactly though. Not sure if I'll watch the ride from the gorge or head down to the finish line in Wells.

Back to top Go down
http://www.strava.com/athletes/144979

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Provisional start list can be seen here: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/529877/tour-of-britain-2011-start-list.html

Cavendish has been confirmed to be taking part.

I'll sort a route out later on this week...any more interest in this?
Back to top Go down
the whippet

the whippet

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I would love to come along, if i can get the time of work i will be there, will know by the end of the week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyMon Sep 05, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm heading to the gorge, but as I'm taking cameras and heavy lenses i'll be driving. Once you've posted the route I might work out where I can do some shots of you lot too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 am

Hi I'm up for pedalling down to watch this. Anyfirm arrangement re time/meeting place yet? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Friday 16th September   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi there - newby here, so I hope you don't mind me posting. Just browsing re info on the tour when I saw this thread - I just want to point out that the date that Friday is the 16th September, in case anyone's booking time off work (it jumped out at me because we have a family birthday that weekend!). Hope you don't mind me butting in - back off to the Exeter tri site now!
Back to top Go down
the whippet

the whippet

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Booked the time of work so i'll come along if it's still happening, where would we be meeting up?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:39 am

I suggest we meet at Castle Park bandstand 9:30 AM, head up the Bristol-Bath path to Saltford, follow NCN route 10 to Chew Stoke, then then take the B3114 to Compton Martin, then the old Bristol Rd to Wells. Route is about 29 miles each way.

Sound good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Sounds cool , but being this side of town I could wait at the old station at warmley as you'd be coming that way anyway... If I was there for 10:15 would that fit? Or I could just bimble towards town till I bumbed into you lot coming the other way on the cycle track....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Say 10am to be on the safe side Martin?

Actually looking at the race route it might be an idea to watch from Cheddar Gorge, then head to Old Bristol Hill as they pass, before heading to Wells for the finish line. I'll have mapping to cover this possibility and we can discuss it on the ride down.
Back to top Go down
the whippet

the whippet

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm

As i live in saltford i too will meet you at warmley,see you at 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 pm

I was looking for people cycling from Bristol to watch this stage, found this thread. I'll come.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Sounds cool, will you be meeting at Castle Park? I don't think there'll be many of us going dowm, but there should be 5 or 6. What sort of pace do you normally ride at?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:48 am

I *might* be up for this. Have to be back home in Bedminster by 6 though, as I'm going to Coed Y Brenin for the weekend. Also want to preserve my legs for the trails on Sturday/Sunday so will if it's going to be ultra-fast I'll give it a miss I think.

Edit: Can't do this actually. Leaving for Wales early in the afternoon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I'll meet you at Castle Park, not 100% sure where in Castle Park you're meeting though.

Not sure about pace, how fast are you guys planning to ride? Should be OK unless you guys want to tear it up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 9:24 pm

The pace won't be absurd, I'm bringing a mate who's a decent cyclist but he'll be riding a hardtail which will slow him up. I doubt we'll exceed 14mph average.

I'll be at the bandstand for 9:30.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Just a quick bump in case anyone wants to join in tomorrow - think 5 or 6 of us are going.
Back to top Go down
aerobully

aerobully

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm off to Lemington Spa in the morning otherwise I would have joined you. Have a great time and look forward to seeing some photos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5807558&authType=nam
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Lots of very nice bikes going up the M4 this afternoon.
Didn't see any Argos frames though.
What was your day like?
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 7:47 am

bar a few minor mechanical issues (puncture and loose crank) it was a good day. The tour was quite a sight to behold. Apparently the secret is to shave one's pins, it seems to make one hell on a difference ..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?   Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Friday 16th September - Possible Ride to watch the Tour of Britain?
Page 1 of 1