Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  RegisterRegister  

28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August

Go down 
+2
DJ Rudec
PaddyMac
6 posters
AuthorMessage

28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August Empty
PostSubject: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 1:11 am

I'm planning on doing a big ride / Century ride (that's 100 old fashioned miles minimum) on either the Bank Holiday Monday (which is only 4 weeks off) or the Sunday before. Haven't decided where to go yet but it'll be one of these options probably:

1. The Tumble (a major climb near Abergavenny, used on the Velothon Wales and Tour of Britain)
2. Gospel Pass (a major climb to the highest road in Wales, near Hay-On-Wye)
3. Caerphilly Mountain (a major climb out of Caerphilly coming at the end of the Velothon Wales)
4. Cheddar/Weston

There are also some spectacular climbs near Merthyr Tydfil that I really want to do. These would mean a drive and a bridge toll to get over to the area.

I'd even give some serious consideration to doing a combined Gospel Pass and The Tumble.

So, if you like the idea of doing a big ride, let me know and if you have a preference as to where and on which day.
Back to top Go down
PaddyMac

PaddyMac

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 am

I'm working on the 28th, but would be potentially up for the 29th. Another crack at the Tumble would be good. Gospel Pass and Tumble in a day... ooof, that would be painful. Maybe starting at the bridge it would be do-able... would be a heck of a tough day though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.patmcintyre.co.uk/
DJ Rudec

DJ Rudec

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 4:34 pm

You know me Gar..I'm usually up for the bank holiday adventure but I don't know if I'll be around for this one. I'm cycling down to Brighton the week before (and back again) but I don't know which day I'll be back. Maybe never if my legs can't hack it!

If I am around I'd prefer the Gospal pass as I havent popped that particular cherry yet.....
Back to top Go down
Bike-Richard

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 5:23 pm

29th works well, Tumble + Gospel would make a brilliant bank holiday special - huge kudos to anyone starting at BS/Bridge Smile
If this goes ahead I'd drive to Abergavenny and save legs for the climbs (I have room for another bike in car if anyone thinking doing the same).

Back to top Go down
PaddyMac

PaddyMac

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Hey peoples, are we still thinking of a ride on Monday 29th?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 1:01 am

Ohhh yes ! We shall be returning to The Gospel Pass but via Talgarth. I haven't given the route a final polish yet but this is pretty much what it'll be: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16054164

It's coming out at around 115 miles in length but you could chop off about 15 miles by starting from the south end of the old Severn Bridge. Two scheduled stops to take on fuel and jetisson waste products, at the Oasis snack bar in Abergavenny on the way out and on the way back. I'm thinking of an 0830 start but quite happy to make it 0900 if there's enough demand.

Let me know if you fancy coming along and if you'll be joining at the old Seven Bridge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 1:25 am

Finishing touches completed: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16054164

The total route length has crept up slightly to 118 miles (190 km) due to having to go around the Glanusk Estate (mile 44.5) rather than risk going through it and being shot at ! If you start from the Old Severn Bridge you will cut about 15 miles off but still be able to complete a century.

I cannot hide the fact that there is a little bit of climbing involved (6,825 ft / 2,077 m) but the scenery is beautiful and   you will at one point be riding along the highest road in Wales, and did you know that the Gospel Pass featured in the opening scenes of the film "An American Werewolf in London" .....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm

whats the current start time Mr Gary? If i have an extra weetabix i might tag along. How many you got going so far?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 10:33 pm

I did suggest a start time of 0830 but this is not set in stone, if you'd like a later start so you don't have to rush your extra shredded wheat, just say so.

Pat (Paddy-Mac) and Richard (Bike-Richard) sounded keen and Andy (DJ Rudec) was up for it provided his legs had recovered from their trip to Brighton, everyone else are playing their cards close to their chest, possibly waiting to see what the weather's going to do, well I'm pleased to say it's looking pretty good. I will definitely be going but I would really appreciate some company. If anyone wants to come along but is pressed for time or is not sure if they've got the legs for it, come part of the way. A round trip to Abergavenny would be 70 miles from Bradley Stoke with about 3,800 ft of climbing and the roads and scenery are wonderful.
Back to top Go down
DJ Rudec

DJ Rudec

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 am

Whilst this looks like an awesome ride I think it would be suicidal for me to attempt it. ....don't get back till late Sunday and then I'm straight to a birthday pish up. 118 miles climbing to the moon and back does not sound like a sensible way to recover!
Have a good trip.....see you nex Sunday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:30 am

I can't make this Gary as I'm out of action with an infected leg following a bite last Monday. Looks like it's going to be at least another week before recovreed. Hope you all have a great ride Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Zargh

Zargh

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 am

Hi Gary - looks like a good ride you've got planned. I can't join you though - it's a rest day for me, as I'm on a big ride in N Wales the previous day.
Have a great ride!
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 1:37 pm

Is that the same event that Simon Luce is doing I know he is off doing something up that way as a warm up for our Sea 2 Sea
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
DJ Rudec

DJ Rudec

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Jeff wrote:
I can't make this Gary as I'm out of action with an infected leg following a bite last Monday. Looks like it's going to be at least another week before recovreed. Hope you all have a great ride Very Happy

You should really feed your wife from time to time to prevent this sort of thing from happening Jeff.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 3:24 pm

[quote="Andrew"][/You should really feed your wife from time to time to prevent this sort of thing from happening Jeff.....]

I told her what you said Andrew and it may pay you to stay in Brighton a bit longer if you value your life!
Back to top Go down
Zargh

Zargh

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:01 pm

bigsenior wrote:
Is that the same event that Simon Luce is doing I know he is off doing something up that way as a warm up for our Sea 2 Sea  
Don't know - I'll keep an eye open for him. I'm doing the 'rise above' sportive, which starts and finishes in Chester, goes through Llangollen, Horseshoe Pass, Bwlch Penbarra etc.
Back to top Go down
Simon Luce

Simon Luce

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm doing the Wild Wales Challenge
100 miles around north wales 10000 ft of climbing starting in Bala

Back to top Go down
Zargh

Zargh

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Simon Luce wrote:
I'm doing the Wild Wales Challenge
100 miles around north wales 10000 ft of climbing starting in Bala

Ah - well our paths won't cross then, but all the best for your ride!
Back to top Go down
PaddyMac

PaddyMac

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 11:11 pm

Ah Gaz - sorry, I'm not going to make this now. I was really keen to come along, but my chain decided to snap today and I'm away all weekend so I won't have a chance to replace it until Monday  Sad Bummer.

Have a great ride, looks like the weather will be good for you.
Back to top Go down
bigsenior

bigsenior

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 am

Call that an excuse? Five minute job that or just slam in a split link Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://bigsnr@yahoo.co.uk
PaddyMac

PaddyMac

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 10:51 pm

bigsenior wrote:
Call that an excuse? Five minute job that or just slam in a split link Very Happy

Needs a whole new chain I think, not sure I'd fancy going up the Gospel pass with a split link in... plus I made a bit of a hash of re-joining it on the roadside and ended taking out about 3 links!

5 minute job yep, but I won't actually be around to get a new chain & fit it until Monday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August EmptySun Aug 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Split links are fine, millions of people running a KMC chain have got one, though like yourself I would have second thoughts about doing a long ride on two split links. As a matter of interest Pat, what was the chain that snapped ?

Chains aside, tomorrow's going to be a glorious day for cycling in the Brecon Beacons, the forecast is "a fine day, with good spells of sunshine and light winds" and warm, 21c max. Pat, why don't you dust off your old bike, pump the tyres up, oil the chain and you're good to go ? If the old bike has gone, since you were so keen to do this ride you can use my spare Merida, just drive over to mine and she'll be waiting for you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August   28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August Empty

Back to top Go down

28 August or Bank Holiday Monday 29th August
Page 1 of 1